Kitty has been established as a freelance interior designer for over 25 years, working from her offices in Fitzrovia London and Brighton. She offers a friendly personal design service and has a reputation for originality, care and quality in all her work. She firmly believes in the importance of establishing a rapport and trust with her clients, also having the flexibility and understanding of their ideas enabling them to be transformed into reality. Her design philosophy is simple - always listen to the client.
In terms of style, Kitty embraces both contemporary and classical and loves eclectic style. She specialises in the creation of timeless interiors, with imaginative use of space and colour to create a light relaxing environment and 'a breath of fresh air'. Strong emphasis is placed on conservation and restoration. Awareness of light and space, structure and proportion are of primary importance, with attention to architectural & detailed decoration, thus enhancing the individuality of a building and bringing out its full potential, often with a contemporary feel. Kitty's specialist interest is in the 'Arts & Crafts' and 'Art Deco' period.
The 'Times' magazine featured Kitty in 'House style', an illustrated article entitled 'Thirties Something's', focusing on suburban house style between the wars and the current trend towards the clean lines and uncluttered look of the Art Deco period.
She is happy to do 'one off' consultations, as well as small or larger projects. She can provide her own team of contractors but is equally happy to oversee client's own builders on site. Scaled drawings - floor plans & elevations, are drawn up as required.
Bespoke pieces of exquisitely made furniture by master craftsman can be commissioned. A 'turn key' service is available, providing a comprehensive furnishing package for luxury rental apartments - from a single sofa to a complete unified scheme. Budgets and time scales are carefully met.
Kitty also assists clients in the selection and purchasing of antique and collectable items of furniture and effects.
A consultancy service is available at an hourly rate.
COMMISSIONS & INTERIOR DESIGN WORK (Corporate & Private)
- Edwardian Mansion Block, Holland Park - Internal common areas, complete refurbishment. Portland stone steps, wrought iron railings, re-designed lighting to include highlighting the beautiful stained glass windows, window blinds, F&B paint layering neutral pallet.
- The Thai Royal Palace, Bangkok, Thailand - Refurbish the Prince's private apartments.
- New Deli, India - Mansion house. Refurbishment, design & make furniture for main living areas.
- Corpus Christi College, Cambridge - Grade 2 Listed 'New Combination Room'. Art Deco restoration of coffered ceiling refurbishment and bespoke furniture incorporating the Corpus Christi 'Coat of Arms'.
- 1930's Mansion block, Golders Green. Internal Common areas to four blocks - new decorative scheme, Art Deco lighting, carpets, including external lighting to the grounds.
- Daily Telegraph House & Garden Fair, Olympia - Designed room set. Stand sponsored by 'Dulux' paint.
- Georgian Terrace Town House, Pimlico, SW1 - Complete refurbishment and restoration of period detailings and srchitectural features. A contemporary feel was achieved using strong colours & paint finishes.
- Penthouses & apartments in London (new developments - Berkley Homes; (St George's), Berners Street, W1, Little Britain EC1; Docklands, St. Johns Wood.
- Exclusive Lingerie shop (Aimi McDonald, actress), Chelsea - Total refurbishment. Structural alteration. Create custom built units and specialist painted French furniture with gilt cherubs!
- 'Prince of Wales Theatre' (Phantom of the Opera) - VIP room.
- British Red Cross Association Training Centre - Dining Room.
- 'The Canterbury Tales', Garrick Theatre - Front of House displays.
- David Prest BBC radio 'Going Places' - Contemporary Bathroom.
- Thomas Howell Group - Penthouse redfurbishment for corporate rentals. Docklands.
- Century 21 Estate Agents, Kensington - Complete refurbishment.
- Consultation - 1930's 4 bedroom apartment, Westcliff, Bournemouth.
- Pavement Vaults, Pimlico - Children's den/play area. Nautical theme.
- International Records Management Trust, Clerkenwell - Window treatment, 4 floors offices in listed Georgian town house.
- Solicitors office - refurnishement of reception area. Regent Street, London W1
- New Venture Theatre, Brighton - Victoria Theatre. Public area. Refurbishment proposed to all reception and front of house areas to meet Health & Safety regulations.
- Large Edwardian House - Client: Jane Horrocks (actress). Design consultant. Child's bedroom in Edwardian style.
- Hello Magazine - Photo shoot fushia pink bedroom with Melinda Messinger for 'Pringles' crisps.
- Regency property, Brighton - Grade 2 listed. Formerly a residence of Napoleon's son. Created two flats out of one large existing flat. Structural alteration and total refrurbishment. Working with Brighton & Hove Planning and Conservation team. Planning permissions and Listed Building consents granted .
WORK / PROJECTS/ TV
- Granada TV - Carol Vorderman's 'BETTER HOMES'. Senior designer episode 5 Living room/reception scheme - total transformation with added conservatory.
- Granada TV - 'Granada Breeze Live', Manchester - Senior interior design consultant Q & A's including a live demonstration revamping a kids chest of drawers. .
- Regency Society Lecture - Campaign and debate to list an Edwin Lutyens house and unique sunken garden 'White Lodge on the Cliff', Roedean, Brighton.
PROJECTS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- IDDA (BIID) FANTASY FASHION GALA - 'The Human Tassle' - GOLD AWARD WINNER.
Originally from a theatrical background, Kitty could not resist the challenge to design and make a fantasy fashion costume for this exciting and unusual event. She was delighted to win the Gold Award for design excellence for 'The Human Tassel'.
City & Guilds advanced qualification in 'Specialist Decorative Paint Techniques'.
PUBLICATIONS & FEATURES
- Bonhams 'Period Design' March 2011 Auction catalogue - Double page profile feature, outlining Kitty's interest in antiques (grew up with famility antique bisiness) and favourite auction house buys!
- West End extra - Feature. Former Middlesex Hospital, Cleveland Street. Strand Union Workhouse (inspiration for Dicken's 'Oliver Twist' ). Campaign gained Grade 2 listed status saving Geirgian building from the hand of the developers.
- Sunday Telegraph - Sept. 2001 (by Nigel Nicholson) - Campaign for listing Sir Edwin Lutyens House 'White Lodge on the Cliff,' Roedean, Sussex (built for Lady Sackville, Nigel Nicholson's grandmother)
- Carol Vorderman's 'Better Homes' Granada - 'The Ultimate Home Improvement Book', tied to the major TV series.
- FX Magazine - 'Child's Play'
- Ideal Home Magazine - B&Q finds.
- Granada TV - Good Morning. Fantasy costume 'The Human Tassel'.
- The Birmingham Clothes Show Live - The Human Tassel.
- London Portrait Magazine - The Himan Tassel.
- The Times Saturday supplement - '1930's Somethings'. Financial Times.
- Homeflair Magazine - 'Tips From The Top'.
Kitty has undertaken the Association's Continued Professional Development programme and has concentrated in part on BIID's diverse Winter Workshops.