Read five reasons we think the new contracts are a better choice for interior designers.
After several years of development, the British Institute of Interior Design is delighted to announce that it has collaborated with the Royal Institute of British Architects to publish two new client contracts designed especially for interior design projects. The ‘RIBA/BIID Professional Services Contract 2020: Interior Design Services’ is available in two versions – the ‘Concise’ for commercial projects and ‘Domestic’ for residential projects for domestic clients. If you currently use one of the BIID’s current client contracts (CID/14 or ID/10) here are 5 reasons why you should make the switch:
- More convenient: the new contracts are hosted on the RIBA’s Contracts Digital Tool. This tool makes it easy for you to create an account online, enter all of your company, project and client information and then download your customised contract as a PDF which you can then print out.
- More affordable: The digital versions of the contracts can be purchased for £35 + VAT (BIID members are eligible for a 50% discount on all contracts purchased). Paper contracts require you to purchase 2 copies for each project – one for you and one for your client. With the new digital contracts you create your customised contract and then download a PDF version which you can then print out as required.
- Greater specialisation: CID/14 was designed to work for both commercial and domestic clients. With two contracts now available you can be confident that the contract you choose was written especially for the type of client you are working with.
- Improved client understanding: the new contracts come with a ‘Contract Checklist’ to help you and your client ensure that the key terms have been agreed which can help avoid misunderstandings later down the line.
- Integration with the RIBA Plan of Work: the contract is written to follow the latest RIBA Plan of Work to help client understanding of industry best practice in project administration.
Unsure? You can download a free sample of both contracts before you purchase to see whether they are right for your practice.
Find out why it is so important you use a contract regardless of project size in the BIID article Why Do You Need a Contract.
BIID members can get 20% off their Income Protection Insurance with PG Mutual.
Katharine Pooley talks to us about her career and her design mantra, and shows us around a recent project.
Your chance to help shape the future of the BIID
The BIID is looking for members to participate in panels at tradeshows and features about interior design.
We take a look at the strategy of listing fees on a practice website, and if the pandemic has had an influence.
The BIID are delighted to introduce you to our new Platinum Partner.