As the end of the BIID’s subscription year comes to a close, it is our duty to Full Members to remind you that your annual CPD hours are due by Friday 30th April 2021 for all learning activities undertaken in the period 1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021.
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted the status quo of the past 12 months and left many people uncertain and isolated. However, we hope you have been able to embrace this time to take advantage of the overwhelming amount of content that has been generated for online audiences to keep brains ticking and conversations going.
What is the annual requirement?
All BIID Registered Interior Designers (UK and international) are required to accrue, record, and submit 10 hours of structured learning and 10 hours of unstructured learning per subscription year, an average of just a little over 2 hours per month.
What is structured learning?
Structured learning is any activity undertaken that has clear learning objectives and assists in your professional development as a designer. These can include:
- Online workshops and courses
- Webinars and conferences
- E-learning modules
- Accredited CPDs from suppliers to the trade
- Formal teaching – developing and delivering learning for others that includes clear learning objectives
- Authorship – writing an article, manual or book that is published for a professional audience
- An academic course that has a clear relationship to the practice of interior design
Alongside the numerous webinars and online workshops that the BIID have created this year, we encourage our members to seek further education via our vast CPD Providers Directory, from other built environment organisations such as RIBA and CITB and the many on demand online offerings from talks programmes hosted by interior trade show partners Decorex, Sleep+Eat and Maison&Objet to name just a few.
What is unstructured learning?
Unstructured CPD activities include:
- Reading interiors related journals, magazines, and books (online and hardcopy)
- Listening to interiors related podcasts
- Mentoring or coaching a student or junior designer
- Giving a talk or participating in a panel discussion at an exhibition, trade show or festival
- Volunteering on a BIID committee, Council or working party or as a BIID membership assessor
Unstructured learning is simple to accrue, especially if you spend an hour a week or so catching up on your favourite interior magazine titles.
How do I record CPD?
CPD is recorded in hours and can be input via three methods:
- The Education Tracker on the BIID Knowledge Hub
- The Education Tracker Excel Template the BIID have produced
- Your own template
The CPD cycle: 1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021.
Please record and submit your CPD electronically to email@example.com by no later than Friday 30th April 2021.
For members using the BIID Knowledge Hub, we would like to inform you that this will be the last year to use the tracker to record your activity as we transition to an in-house model for the recording year April 1st 2021 to 31st March 2022. More details to follow.
We would like to thank all our members for their resilience and participation this last year; the willing transition to online learning and networking have solidified the profession and we look forward to continuing to bring you relevant and educational content for 2021 and beyond.
If you would like to speak to a member of staff about your annual CPD requirement or require a copy of the excel template, please get in touch by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 0207 628 0255.
The BIID publishes results of the first ever survey of diversity in Interior Design.
The BIID publishes analysis of the diversity of interior design graduates from UK higher education institutions.
Revised Code has been approved by membership vote.
BIID Director, Mathew Freeman, would like to give you all a virtual hug
A new UK national regulator will be established to oversee materials used to build homes to ensure they are safe.