Who we are
The British Institute of Interior Design (BIID) is the only professional institute for interior designers in the UK. Our growing membership represents both the commercial and residential sectors, from heritage to cutting edge. In addition to rigorous entry requirements which assess training, experience and professionalism, we require our members to continue their professional development throughout their career to ensure their continued expertise in design process, practice and regulatory matters. For those wishing to find an interior designer or to confirm the credibility of a potential interior designer we offer a directory of our Registered Interior Designers.
The BIID is committed to advancing professionalism, integrity and excellence in interior design.
- Approachable and supportive
- Inclusive and collaborative
- Ethical and environmentally responsible
The British Institute of Interior Design is the only professional organisation for interior designers which has been granted the prestigious and rare accolade of Institute status. The term Institute is government regulated and only awarded to organisations that undertake research at the highest level or are professional bodies of the highest standing.
When the Secretary of State granted BIDA Institute status in 2009, it became the British Institute of Interior Design.
The responsibility of a professional Institute is to set the highest standards of practice for its particular profession. The BIID undertakes various activities to support this, including:
- Code of Conduct: All BIID professional Members are required to sign our professional code of conduct;
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD): All BIID Members are required to evidence their continuing professional development to ensure they keep up to date with the latest professional developments;
- Complaints Procedure: The Institute has a fair and transparent complaints procedure in place;
- Governance: The Institute is owned and governed by its members