Join the BIID and Elspeth Pridham in conversation with Emily Anthes about her new book ‘The Great Indoors: The Surprising Science of How Buildings Shape Our Behaviour, Health and Happiness’.
Emily Anthes is an award-winning science journalist and author. Her latest book looks at inside spaces and asks “How do these spaces affect our mental and physical well-being? Our thoughts, feelings, and behaviours? Our productivity, performance, and relationships?”
Through her cutting-edge research, Emily probes the pain-killing power of a well-placed window and examines how the right office layout can expand our social networks. She investigates how room temperature regulates our cognitive performance, how the microbes hiding in our homes influence our immune systems, and how cafeteria design affects what--and how much--we eat.
Along the way, Anthes takes readers into an operating room designed to minimize medical errors, a school designed to boost students' physical fitness, and a prison designed to support inmates' psychological needs. And she previews the homes of the future, from the high-tech houses that could monitor our health to the 3D-printed structures that might allow us to live on the Moon.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The Great Indoors provides a fresh perspective on our most familiar surroundings and a new understanding of the power of architecture and design. It's an argument for thoughtful interventions into the built environment and a story about how to build a better world--one room at a time.
Interiors Journalist Elspeth Pridham will be discussing Emily’s new book with her and how interior designers can learn from the examples and theory Emily investigates to inform their own healthy and happy future projects.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This webinar is open to everyone with an interest in design. BIID members and supporters can access this seminar for free, non-members can purchase a ticket for £5 + VAT.
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
Emily Anthes is a science journalist and author. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Wired, Nature, Mosaic, Nautilus, Slate, Businessweek, Scientific American, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, Aeon, Psychology Today, and elsewhere. Emily has a master’s degree in science writing from MIT and a bachelor’s degree in the history of science and medicine from Yale, where she also studied creative writing. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Elspeth Pridham is Editor of The Insider and is an experienced journalist and author who, for 30 years, has concentrated on the interiors industry. She has written for idFX, 25 Beautiful Homes and Furnishing and was Editor of Studio. She is also the author of the book Transparent, a study in transparent and translucent materials.
Once you have registered for this event and your membership status has been verified, you will be emailed the Zoom Meeting link. If this event is fully booked, please join the waiting list. If you are no longer able to attend, please inform the office so that we can give your spot to someone else.
Prices are not inclusive of VAT
If you have any queries, please email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7628 0255.
All BIID events and training courses are subject to standard terms and conditions which can be read in full below:
Terms and Conditions:
- If you wish to cancel your booking to a paid event, please send a refund request via Eventbrite. A full refund will be issued if your refund request is received 10 working days prior to the day of the event.
- The full delegate fee will be forfeited for non-attendance (for any reason) without prior notice or cancellation of your booking.
- A replacement delegate nominated and confirmed by you is permitted but must be confirmed in writing to info@BIID.org.uk prior to the event.
- If you wish to cancel your booking to a free event, please do so via Eventbrite as soon as possible so that your ticket can be reallocated.
- The BIID reserves the right to make changes to the programme.
- The BIID reserves the right to cancel the event if unavoidable circumstances arise.
- This event will be photographed and videoed. Attendance constitutes consent for these images/videos to be used, by the BIID and its partners, for promotional purposes.
- In compliance with the Data Protection Act, we must point out that the information on this form will be kept on a database.
- Your name may be shared with the venue.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed under the laws of England and Wales and you submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.
Clerkenwell Design Week, returns from 24-26 May for its 11th edition. Head over to 135+ showrooms and 9 exhibition venues with...
In this RIBA and BIID certified webinar, enhance your understanding of how to protect bonded installations of tile and stone installed on...
Prepare to be WOW!ed at the Design Centre’s first-ever showhouse Make a date for design inspiration at WOW!house, Design Centre,...
Join Patrick Folkes of Graphenstone Paints for this free virtual CPD about the future of sustainable paint. The paints industry is...
BIID members are invited for a private tour of Eames Fine Art Gallery, Print Room, Collectors’ Studio and Atelier on Bermondsey Street...
Join the BIID for a tour of the late Charles Jencks' home, The Cosmic House, a contemporary parallel to Sir John Soane’s House completed a...